Thread: 3TTT Death Stem
View Single Post
Old 11-25-17, 11:56 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2989 Post(s)
Liked 1,587 Times in 1,051 Posts
My take? Retire that stem but don't sweat it. It was highly unlikely to get worse as long as it was sitting in the steerer undisturbed. Putting it back in and re-using it is iffy so I wouldn't. And I would chalk it up as a "good" failure. Any failure you detect at your workbench, vs on the road, is, in my book, a good failure.

Edit: I've never thought to study the slots on the TTT stems I've owned. Likely many had that same square detail. Never broke one and I used some of them many miles. My Peter Mooney went 25,000 plus miles on a new TTT bar and stem. I retired them because they had seen a couple of hard crashes. (I was worried more about the handlebars.) That said, I will have to look at all my stems and their slots. (My Nittos use wedges which has always struck me as a better system in addition to being easier to make. Among other things, diameter and fit tolerances matter far less with a wedge.)

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 11-26-17 at 12:05 AM.