Thread: Colombia?
View Single Post
Old 12-02-17, 10:47 PM
rfield54

Bikes: '16 Cervelo R5 .... Alchemy Arion .... Alchemy Ronin Ti ... Santa Cruz 5010CC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
"Have you checked a climate chart? November is the rainy season in south america. 2 hours of hard rain in the afternoon is normal in Colombian rainy season."

I did see that, and the only other month I can go is May, which has more rainy days (but a bit less volume)

"Colombians are big into cycles. You have a choice of 700 x 23mm tires, or 26 x lots of sizes, or 27.5 x 2.1 in the cities. Why do you want to pay $360 a day + tip for a tour company? Not even the hyper expensive adventure cycling charges that kind of money."

That's actually a bit less expensive than the other international tour companies per day.

"Why not just ride out of the airport on your own? If you can spend $100 a day in Colombia, you are rich. You could be comfortable for $30 a day, or squeek by on $15 a day. If you stay at a $5 hotel they might borrow your bicycle. A $20 hotel is comfortable and has security. Colombia is bicycle friendly, you do not need a touring company."

A tour company makes life with luggage and a nice road bike the only way to go for me.