View Single Post
Old 12-03-17, 11:23 PM   #1
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...
Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Tell me a story about a mechanical failure

One of the riders on yesterday's brevet had an unusual mechanical issue. It seems the locknut, the one that holds the cassette together, had loosened and come all the way off the free hub body. One of the cogs got badly mangled in the process, several teeth broken off, the chain jammed tightly between the frame and what remained of the cassette. I wasn't there when it happened; he was ahead of the small group I was riding with. When we caught up we stopped to see if we could help.

Too many hands just confuse things, so I futzed with my own bike (wires to the dynamo were making a bad connection) while the others worked on the broken cassette.

Well, it turns out one of the guys I was riding with actually had the Campagnolo cassette tool needed to tighten the cogs back together in his tool kit (!), though no wrench big enough to turn it. I had a crescent wrench with me, but it was too small. Another one of the guys walked a hundred yards up the road and mooched a big crescent wrench off a man who was putting a roof on a house, and in a few minutes the cassette was back together. The high gears weren't usable, but the bike was rideable.

And by now my lights were working, too. I was thankful for the leisure to diagnose and fix the problem.

Moral of the story? I don't know... teamwork? Carry a random tool just in case? Whatever, it was good in the end. We all finished.

Anyway, I would appreciate other stories of this kind. I might learn something useful, or they might just make good reading. Anyone?

Last edited by rhm; 12-04-17 at 05:56 PM.
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote