View Single Post
Old 12-03-17, 11:49 PM   #2
Gratuitous glib and snark
Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Originally Posted by rhm View Post
One of the riders on yesterday's brevet had an unusual mechanical issue. It seems the locknut, the one that holds the cassette together, had loosened and come all the way off. One of the cogs got badly mangled in the process, several teeth broken off, the chain jammed tightly between the frame and what remained of the cassette. I wasn't there when it happened; he was ahead of the small group I was riding with. When we caught up we stopped to see if we could help.

Too many hands just confuse things, so I futzed with my own bike (wires to the dynamo were making a bad connection) while the others worked on the broken cassette.

Well, it turns out one of the guys I was riding with actually had the Campagnolo cassette tool needed to tighten the cogs back together in his tool kit (!), though no wrench big enough to turn it. I had a crescent wrench with me, but it was too small. Another one of the guys walked a hundred yards up the road and mooched a big crescent wrench off a man who was putting a roof on a house, and in a few minutes the cassette was back together. The high gears weren't usable, but the bike was rideable.

And by now my lights were working, too. I was thankful for the leisure to diagnose and fix the problem.

Moral of the story? I don't know... teamwork? Carry a random tool just in case? Whatever, it was good in the end. We all finished.

Anyway, I would appreciate other stories of this kind. I might learn something useful, or they might just make good reading. Anyone?
Lon Haldeman reckons that being able to fix mechanicals with whatever you can find on the side of the road is good for you. Not that any of us should wish mechanical problems on the other, but the willingness to find creative solutions to issues is such an important part of long distance riding.

A. I actually teach a class called "The Organic Mechanic," where I fix
my bike from junk found on the side of the road. Knowing how your bike
works makes it easier to decide how to fix things. I still carry a
basic tire pump, inner tube and a few special wrenches.
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 12-03-17 at 11:54 PM.
ThermionicScott is online now   Reply With Quote