Old 12-04-17, 08:00 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
I was smiling as I was reading the cassette locknut story in post 1 above, because a similar thing happened to me.

This past spring I went on a five day tour with my new Lynskey Backroad. I normally do not carry things like cassette tools on day rides, but when I go on a bike tour I carry spare spokes, cassette tool, etc. Even though it was only a five day trip, I brought the same kit I would bring for a month long trip. The Lynskey has replaceable rear dropouts. The reason for that is that you can remove the dropouts for a conventional wheel and replace with dropouts for a through axle setup, you buy the frame with the option that you want. Lynskey makes the dropouts. The drive side dropout is also the derailleur hanger and I was carrying a spare derailleur hanger.

Those replaceable dropouts are held in the frame with two small screws (I think they are M4). The screws are threaded in from the inside, between the dropouts. One of those screws started to unthread during my tour. For several miles I thought that the odd noise I heard that sounded like a chirp was ground nesting birds. But eventually I concluded the noise was not wildlife but was from my bike. But I could not figure out what it was. Later, I found that when I backpedaled, the freehub did not spin freely, but instead had some resistance to it. I was less than 10 miles from where I planned to spend the night so I kept going, planning to diagnose it at the campsite. A few miles later, just before I started to go down a steep hill I suddenly felt like the rear wheel was braking when I was not applying the brakes. This was serious, so I immediately stopped before starting down the hill. Pulled the handlebar bag and all four panniers off the bike, flipped it upside down to look at it. That is when I saw that one of the dropout screws had started to unscrew, and it had dragged on the cassette lock ring for miles. But the reason for the sudden resistance that felt like braking was that the lock ring started to unscrew and jam itself against that screw. The friction from that is what felt like braking. The initial noise that I thought was birds chirping was the squeaking noise of the bolt head dragging on the lock ring.

I had the cassette tool (in the bottom of a rear pannier under a lot of stuff), got that out with the crescent wrench and tightened up the cassette. The dropout screw, the head had worn down from dragging on the cassette lockring for miles, the correct allen wrench no longer fit properly, but I got it screwed back in the best I could. Then got on my way. A few miles later in the campground, dug out my replaceable dérailleur hanger which included more of those screws, robbed a screw from that and installed the correct screw in the drop out.

When I got home, I removed the screws on both dropouts, added blue loctite to the screws and re-installed. Hopefully that will not happen again.

In the first post above, it was mentioned that the cassette tool was too large for an adjustable wrench. That also was the case with my cassette tool, but I had spent about five minutes with a file to file down two of the flats on the cassette tool until my crescent wrench fit it.

Since we are on the topic of cassette tools, I will mention that several years ago I came up with a light weight more portable substitute for a chain whip that you can use to pull a cassette if you have to. At this link:
Chain Whip for Travel
I carry that with my cassette tool when touring with a dérailleur bike.

Final thoughts - I have seen lots of bike rack bolts come loose, I always use blue loctite on rack bolts and kickstand bolts. I have added replaceable dropout and derailleur hanger bolts to the list of places where blue loctite is needed.