DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Here is another PSA (info from my doc):

My understanding is that until recently, the shingles vaccine was not terribly effective. Perhaps only 60%. My uncle had the vaccine and STILL got shingles. So don't kick yourself too hard for not getting it. It may have not made a difference.

There is a new vaccine that has just become available. It is in the order of 80-90% effective.

So if you eschewed the vaccine before because of ineffectiveness, this may be your time.

I had shingles when I was about 27 years old and it SUCKED. I intend to get the new vaccine.

Thanks from me, too, I was planning on getting the shingles vaccine when I turned 60 - I researched it and found it wasn't that effective if given earlier. This new vaccine sounds really promising, and I will definitely get it as soon as it's available.

Seeing the pain, hearing loss, and general suffering my mother went through when shingles hit her at age 87, almost 88 actually, even if I had to pay $1000 out of pocket for the new vaccine (I have no idea what it costs, I haven't found anyone near me that actually offers it yet, nor any cost estimates), it would be well worth it. My mom had the rash/blisters/scabs for at least 6-8 months, and still had shingles pain when she died, 3 years laster.