Old 12-06-17, 09:45 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4317 Post(s)
Many years ago I was riding a fixed gear experimental aluminum frame bike from the 30s. About 40 miles out on a double century weekend in rolling terrain I noticed that the bottom bracket had become loose. Not the classic loose cup sort of thing, but the frame itself had come apart and the BB was broken free from the seat tube, and beginning to break from the down tube.

Fortunately this was a Saturday, so I was able to limp to a town and find an open hardware store. We often speak of holding things together with hose clamps and baling wire, and that's just about what I did literally. I found picture hanging wire and turnbuckles and wrapped under the BB shell and over the seat lug using the turnbuckles to tension it adequately. Same process to keep the down tube secure, and then hose clamps to stabilize the whole thing.

Roughly an hour or two of work and I was good to go. At first I wasn't sure I could trust it, especially in the hills, but gained confidence fairly quickly. Finished the weekend, and ended up riding that bike a few more years until it broke in other places and I decided to call it a wrap.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.