Old 12-06-17, 08:35 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Well I just deleted my comments about some of the comments on here, particularly my comment on arrogant Canadians. So moving on...

I'm no font of information about touring. But the OP needs to know, that particular area of this country is particularly inhospitable. In fact, I cannot think of many places within the US borders that is as dangerous place to bike tour. Yes, people do it. Yes, successfully. But I'm not sure most people are quite prepared for the terrain, distances, remoteness and lack of civilization for long stretches. There are miles...as in hundreds...of no services available, no food, no water. There will be no quick extraction in case of an accident, no medical services nearby, no ambulance arriving in 15-20 minutes, no law enforcement if you are waylaid by ner-do-wells, no means of finding parts for a serious mechanical failure. Again, yes I realize many do it in spite of that. But IF one is not prepared with a skill set for survival that most people do not possess, then in an emergency, survival would or could be iffy at best.
If it were me, going into a foreign country, unless I had experience in inhospitable, extreme desert conditions, I would perhaps choose a route a bit less challenging.
Like others have suggested, perhaps the OP should at least think about going north and maybe touring through SF, maybe Lake Tahoe, Yosemite...there's lots to see up there.