View Single Post
Old 12-07-17, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Use the steel trigger shifter?
Nope, mine is the twist grip one. I mostly have no issue getting it into 3rd.

Originally Posted by Gresp15C View Post
I have a couple of AW equipped bikes. Some ideas:

1. How long since the hub has been lubricated? I prefer drizzling some oil down the hollow axle.

2. The shift rod should pull out easily, though you sometimes have to wiggle the pedals a bit -- that's normal.

3. Get the behavior of the cable and barrel adjuster sorted out before trying to adjust anything. You should be able to thread it all the way on if the shifter is in 3rd. Likewise, make sure the cable is running freely while it's detached. The idea is to verify that all of the parts are behaving on their own before putting them together.

4. Dan Burkhart is very knowledgeable, and there are a few others here who have seen their fair share of these hubs. They are worth getting into working order.

Finally, Sheldon's method should work -- leave just a tiny bit of extra room to pull the rod out when the shifter is in 1st.
1. Lubricated about 3 weeks ago, the spindle/axle is greased when taken out.
2. It pulls out most of the time, but will sometimes get stuck and normal pedaling won't help. This can also prevent downshifting into 1.
3. This is the part I'm not sure about. There appears to be enough length to thread it all the way, but a) the cable is unthreading itself counterclockwise after some point; b) the barrel adjuster just won't go any further than about half of the indicator threading, no idea if some threading issue or the force of the cable untwisting itself becomes too much. Will try to get a cable from ebay and test.
4. It's a lovely and fairly reliable piece of kit, so I certainly would want back in action, but my knowledge of the subject is somewhat limited

Last edited by 4004; 12-07-17 at 08:09 AM.