View Single Post
Old 01-05-06, 11:02 AM
bobby c
Bike Curious....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's something I posted in the Tips & Trick thread. I'd rather not clip anything to my bike, hence my solutions:

If I get a new route that I'm not familiar with from someone, I'll print it out on a piece of paper. Then I'll cut that paper down to size (usually around 3" x 3") and take some clear/wide tape (often used for shipping) and wrap the paper with the tape, making it water-proof. For a long route, I'll take 2 pieces of paper & put them together back to back before taping.

This worked fine, except it was always a hassle to find the route and pull it out, especially when wearing gloves. So I'd ride up to an intersection, have to find and pull out the route & then put it away, taking too much time and hassle. So I hit upon a great solution (for me). I also do a fair amount of woodworking and I'm always searching for a pencil. Last year I bought a bunch of Pencil Leashes (http://www.pencilleash.com/) - they work by clipping the unit to your shirt (or whatever) and pulling an attached pencil out on a 36" leash. Let go of the pencil & it reels back in. The pencil attaches to a snap clip - so I just took my waterproof route and punched a hole in it and replaced the pencil with it. I then clipped the route inside of my jacket - anytime I want it I just grab it and well, pull it out. Let go & it retracts, no fumbling around.

Here's a picture of the Pencil Leash:

Bob