View Single Post
Old 12-11-17, 12:14 PM
johnje
Average Idiot

Bikes: 88 Davidson Impulse, 90 Specialized Hard Rock, 09 Specialized Allez, 17 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio View Post
I hear traffic fine with headphones and music even when I have my winter helmet on. I wear earplugs in the summer season to ease wind noise and I hear traffic fine even then.
Even with my earbuds in, and (metal) turned up pretty darn high, and my balaclava on, I can hear cars as they pass. I can't hear them from far away, but then if I don't have headphones in, all I can hear is the wind, tons of regular traffic noise, and can't distinguish "car approaching" noise until they're passing.

I don't see what the heck knowing a car is approaching is going to do for me. I stay in the bike lane, any driver paying more attention to text messaging than their lane position is going to run me over, whether I can hear them or not.

The only situation where I don't wear headphones is riding through city streets. For example, downtown Seattle, and mostly that's for verbal exchanges at stoplights. (Drivers telling me to go first, asking for directions, etc..)