View Single Post
Old 12-12-17, 04:05 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
My point in all that is, in reading your response, and that in bold, I'm getting the sense that after a break in that feeling of sliding forward will diminish and the surface will become less slick. Am I reading that correctly?

Apologies to OP for thread hijack.
Pretty much. As you ride the saddle more, it conforms to you and that shiny surface roughens up. It's a matter of adjusting the saddle to balance the sliding forward with the nose pressing on your groin. If the nose feels very prominent, you've probably slid forward a bit into that 'hammock' which you don't want. It's just a matter of messing about until one day you realise you no longer have to.

I'm currently frustrated with my Brooks. It's ten years old and I've always been very happy with it. I put it on the new bike and was very happy with it. Then, over the space of a weekend, I fitted a longer neck and had a professional fitter check my saddle height. During that, he reset the saddle so it was dead flat, so, of course, I was now sliding forward. I've been fighting the thing ever since and am starting to wonder if the longer neck was a mistake because one of the things he did was push the saddle right back. I've never had this trouble before and to have it with a much loved saddle suggests something else is wrong.