Old 12-14-17, 06:56 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
I was the service manager in several shops up until 2014.
Thank you..

Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
"Certified Mechanic" has very little practical meaning. There are training programs that issue certifications, but that only means one has been exposed to certain information, and perhaps been (usually on paper) tested on it. In no way does that guarantee ability to apply knowledge to a problem.

Although being paid to work at a bike shop likely means one has been exposed to many, many more issues than a home mechanic, it also is not helpful in determining one's ability to diagnose a particular problem. I say that as a person who was employed by a commercial bike shop and a bike co-op, and owned my own mobile repair and store assembly service, and as a person who taught a bike mechanic course.

Even those who have extensive experience and diagnostic skills miss things, especially in such a venue as a forum. The strength of this forum is the ability to hear from various voices that not only give different perspectives, but who can challenge others' conclusions. You did not say why you wanted the info, but if it is to decide who to believe, or who to PM with your issue, you're on the wrong track.

You can read my bio for the basics on my background, but as my last "professional" experience was in 1996 the opinions I share here probably are not worth much. The best indicator of credibility is that the person offers and answer grounded in both experience and the application of logical analysis.
Thank you for all this information, I appreciate it.

I just wanted to know who had access to certain things such as QBP or certain training classes such as what certain bike brands will have you attend and some of these shops will certify you if you took these courses. I also wanted to know who is privvy to certain things such as wholesale. And no, I'm not asking for prices or discounts, I can get them myself.

This does not pertain to me asking any questions or doubting anyone's ability or knowledge in regards to being able to repair or even build a bike, it's more in the line of access.

Im sure you are more than qualified to help out with bikes, that is certainly why you are in this section, and I thank you for that.

There's a reason I ask, and I'll explain that later.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.