View Single Post
Old 12-17-17, 01:03 AM
Ride_Fast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
On my ride home from work today - in busy San Diego weekend surface street traffic - I purposely came to a complete stop at every intersection, four-way stop, etc, unclipped and clipped back in. No problems like the OP is describing.
So do you always ride like a good boy? I'm not against spd's. If that's the only thing you stick to, that's fine, but I prefer straps when I'm working.

Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
I cannot think of one time during the several thousands of miles I have ridden where I crashed because I couldn't get unclipped fast enough to put a foot down. I was hit by the driver of an SUV in an alley and managed to unclip both feet before colliding with the vehicle which was my only option. From riding back country roads to riding in rush hour traffic in Chicago and everything between.... you simply figure it out. It is such a natural motion now that I don't even think about it. Having good control of your bike and a good sense of balance will often be just enough so that even if you for some reason forgot how to unclip or couldn't figure it out, you would still have enough time to get your foot unclipped and down.

So, my suggestion is to learn how to ride, how to stop or at least do a very slow roll without putting your foot down. There are several tutorial videos on YouTube on how to properly execute a track stand. Learn how to do this, and how to control your balance and your bike, and then give it a shot.
I know how it works, thanks. You missed that part where I mentioned "sudden stops". And yeah you'll do fine for the most part.

Last edited by Ride_Fast; 12-17-17 at 01:17 AM.