rodteague
Enjoying the ride

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Technium 440, 1989 Bianchi Alante, 1991 Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
Japan sticker on the frame, Miki-format serial number, Jim Merz being cited here as having owned a Miki-built 82 Sequoia, 1982 was pre-Miyata or Merida and multiple threads here, Velobase and elsewhere.

I'd put my confidence at about 90% that it's a Miki-built frame.
I've read and even participated on several new threads regarding early 1980's Specialized Bicycles. Not a single one can verify with certainty that Miki produced Specialized frames. Don't get me wrong, when I am finally in a position to purchase another Sequoia or even a Expedition, I would love to be able to identify it's manufacturer. I was hoping you had additional info from Neenan or Bainsworth who were actually there during the japanese production days. They are the best we have because both have gone on record regarding 3rensho and Miyata. Not doubting the posters sincerity but the Merz reference is hearsay until a authoritative document is produced that has quotes, recorded voice, or is in his own hand. It would be nice if Specialized would release records, or publish an accurate history of it's bicycles and manufacturers, but alas we have virtually nothing from them. It would seem the S/N would be the last word but even you will have to admit that other "authorities" on this forum have called Miki's manufacturing role into question. Is it possible they made a few Sequoia's? Yes, very possible. Verifiable? No, not verifiable to 100% at this point.

Best answer is, we may never know; and, that Specialized bicycles were made in Japan until the fall of the yen in 1986. Which means Miki could have made bicycles for Specialized between 1982 and 1986. 1987 marked the year all production was moved to and started in Taiwan. I actually posed a question on another thread that Bryant Bainsworth mentioned that they(Specialized) used "other builders" besides 3Rensho and specifically because they were loosing design control with Miyata. Could that mean Miki might be one of those "other builders"? No one wanted to step out on a limb. I'm open to the possibility, and I hope you eventually find out that your Sequoia was definitely built in the Miki shop; it would make it a rare one indeed.

Best Regards

Rod

Last edited by rodteague; 12-21-17 at 06:58 PM.