J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Dunelt Resurrection

Hello, Everyone. I'm starting this thread to document my rebuild of an old Dunelt 3-speed frame that I've had kicking about. This will not be a full-on restoration, rather it'll be a resurrection. I'm of the opinion that a complete restoration to this frame would cost more and take more time, and the end result will be a bike that will not get ridden. What will do is to freshen it up, clean it up, straighten it up, and sort it out.

Here's the serial number location. I bought this as a frame, and the PO said the frame was a '53. When I asked him several times how he knew it was a '53, he side-stepped my questions rather well. He should be a politician!

The frame number is: 675056. If anyone can help me verify the year, I would be in your debt.

What I have done so far is to straighten the frame and fork, and widen them out to fit a nice set of old-school Campy hubs, which I intend to lace to some VO PBP rims for a nice classic polished look.

There were a lot of factory finish issues that I encountered, but nothing that some file work would not cure.

The frame paint was severely oxidized. I started to gently clean it with some warm soapy water and a cloth, but found a log of slag and poor brazing along the way. I was going to just buff out the whole frame with some polish and cleaner wax, but instead I decided to clear-coat it with some satin 2K.

I apologize for the lack of "before" pics, but I also have another project going and it was overlooked. I did flush out all of the tubes with denatured alcohol, and blew out any debris. The frame was cleaned thoroughly inside and out, and Framesavered afterwards. Now its been preserved in time! Good for at least another 50 years!