Thread: N-1 Plan.
View Single Post
Old 12-24-17, 10:19 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
If you are suffering from affluenza, then embrace your disease and enjoy the ride. I personally would not spend $1600 for a steel frame made in Taiwan. With that price tag you are getting into Lynskey territory. What the heck, go for a Moots.
Well, many of us spend more money than that for all manner of frames made in Taiwan, so that's not really a consideration.

This particular frame has the draw of the Breakaway couplings. I can get my road bike, plus the ability to travel with it, plus the ability to run bigger tires for mixed terrain, even if not quite as big as the Breakaway Cross. But since I've never put anything bigger than a 32 on the Breakaway Cross, I'm not really losing anything over my current usage.

I don't really see myself traveling to something that requires, say 40mm tires. I think that maybe with the new tire clearances on the Breakaway road, it can meet a lot of needs. Then I still have a utility bike that will clear 40-ish tires for use locally.

But I have an admitted emotional attachment to my CAAD9, and my Breakaway Cross...which is probably the best reason to get rid of them. Emotional attachments to things is not a particularly healthy mental habit.