Old 12-24-17, 09:44 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,083 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I bought the Bolt about two months ago and think it is great. My one issue is with the turn by turn navigation. When I'm on a ride with a lot of closely spaced turns, it just doesn't keep up, and it is hard to tell which street to turn on. I live in NYC with a dense street grid so this will happen frequently. Also, the beeps seemed to happen after the turn, not before to let you know where/when to turn. I only used it once to try it since I know NYC well enough that I don't need no stinkin' GPS. Maybe I'll need it if I ever get out of NYC again with my bike. .
This isn’t the Bolt, it’s GPS in general. Seems the units don’t process signal, location and directions fast enough for some fast activities. I think this is one of the reasons units for flight navigation use augmented GPS, which has supplemental signals sent from ground transmitters. I recall a ride report a few years ago from a cyclist using a Garmin 1000 in Switzerland and Italy, stating the unit could not keep up in towns with densely packed streets.