View Single Post
Old 12-25-17, 06:57 AM
bashley
bashley

Bikes: Mariposa touring, Miyata Terra Runner, Bacchetta recumbent, Raleigh Superbe, Peugeot Bretagne, Miyata 610,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stable, Secure, Safe, Sexy--Geriatric

I'm 66. 5'8", 185lbs, 31" inseam. I'm healthy. I've got a few bikes, all of them best suited to younger, fitter, more flexible riders. E.g. Mariposa touring (custom made for me in 1988), Specialized Roubaix, and 84 Miyata Terrarunner, a Shogun and a Terra Trike. Although the Roubaix is carbon, I favor steel. An old schooler giveaway is that I prefer friction shifting over indexed, just like I prefer cars with standard transmissions versus automatic.

I want a bike that fits the bill of an older rider. I still work and commute by bike in professional business attire (fenders a must!). Recreational light gravel roads/trail, urban pavement. 4-seasons rider. Now, thinking 'bout stuff that never concerned me in the past much--a stable ride, a secure cockpit, a safe ride. My drop bikes, I rarely use the drops anymore. Low speed stability would be more important so I'd compromise on high speed stability.

I gravitate to touring/adventure geometry, but almost all bikes designed for dropbars. Suspension doesn't do it for me. High stack, short reach probably a good thing, but nice to stretch when confronting a stiff headwind. (Lots of that in Prince Edward Island) where I live. No long distance touring in the cards, but yes to an occasional overnighter. I want to be able to haul stuff (change of clothes, groceries, tennis bag) so frame fittings a must.

The Jones Plus intrigues me, super long chainstays, the Jones H-Bar. The Salsa Fargo, too, with what I assume is very upright riding position, but the reach may be too, too, short for a Jones Bar or a trekking bar. Hybrids are kinda boring to me, the Dodge Aspens of the bike world?

Smaller, but wider wheels/tires for the safety bit? 26inch or 650B? A Thorn, maybe? My winter bike choice right now is my Miyata with Marathon studded winter tires (26"). Sitting low and centered, I feel more secure on snow or icy roads than any other bike.

Maybe I'm asking too much. I love the American frontier spirit bubbling in adventure bikes, but secretly admire the simple, utilitarian culture of urban, European bike riding. Going out on a limb, I'd venture North American emphasis on play versus European emphasis on work.

My burning questions related to senior citizen riding would be, "What type of all-round setup is best suited to riding safely and securely (but still with fun!) into my 70s, and beyond?"

I'm going to sell all of my bikes. Which new bike would you go for given my situation (predicament?). hehe

I'd peg my budget at between $2.5K to $4K tops. And I'll probably do a combo of vacation/bike buying trip to...well...anywhere.

Thanks!

Last edited by bashley; 12-25-17 at 07:20 AM.