View Single Post
Old 12-26-17, 01:07 PM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagerando
Are Dahons a good choice if you want a bike you can upgrade over time? I am new to the world of folding bikes. I am looking for a "go-face" option; a bike that can mimic my road bike, but is easy to transport in the truck of a car. The price for the option I think would be a match for me are behind what I can pay right now; My thought was to get a folding bike with a good quality frame and upgrade components if I want to later. Is there a model or models in the Dahon that may be better for future upgrade?
Vintagerando, modifications are quite fun and relatively doable.

Dahon's I am actively upgrading are these:

Vitesse I7
Mu N360
Mu D10

Lower end bikes you could do nice upgrades to are
Mariner D8 (more than d7)
Vybe D7

People have discussed their modifications of Curve D3 into what I will call Curve-Speed 8 (fast Curve)

Technically though all bikes can be modified in one way or another.
Most Dahon's are relatively easy to upgrade.

If you just want a nice folding road bike (ie to mimic) probably the best out of the box is the Anniversary replica as it has bullhorn bars and integrated brake shifters. Mu SL11, Mu LT10, Visc D18 are others which you could "roadify" though they are quite good out of the box that way.

If you want "project bikes" always easiest to invest in the frame you want and go from there.