Bike Forums - View Single Post - a few "century" questions
View Single Post
Old 01-05-06, 09:05 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you've trained properly your biggest challenges are going to be mental - staying alert and keeping up a reasonable pace. Watch your cadence carefully and make sure you are pushing an appropriate gear for the situation. When fatigue sets in this is usually the first thing to go. Change hand positions frequently. Look around. Don't focus on the road too much or develop a death grip on the bars.

If you have a computer, consult it frequently to make sure you are sticking to your goal pace but don't beat yourself up too much if you slip a little. Riding 100 miles is an accomplishment in itself. Not many people at your job are going to ask how long it took you . Setting pace goals is just a way to keep yourself honest about your body's abilities. Going out too fast and finishing slow can be tough mentally. Set a goal pace, and stick to it as long as possible. If you're feeling good, go ahead a push it a little. If you have to slow down it's not the end of the world.

If you are doing this ride with friends you have trained with, keep your group together as much as possible. Along the ride, practice all the normal protocols of group riding. Call out when passing, don't draft people or join pacelines without asking.

I recommend being extra-conservative on descents. Hold your line, corner smoothly and predictably, and leave plenty of room between yourself and other riders. Descending is an art, and most people (myself included) are not that good at it. Factor in rural roads where the local drivers may not be on their best behavior around bicyclists and... Ok. Just be careful. That's all I'm saying

Make sure your bike is in top shape and that you're very familiar with the bike you plan to ride - how it shifts, how it handles, etc... Know how to fix a flat and do basic bike tweaking, and have the tools to do it.

Eat before you're hungry, drink before you're thirsty, and have fun!

Everyone's immune system is different, but unfortunately mine does not do well with alcohol after a hard effort. If you're going to celebrate after your big accomplishment, at least go easy - especially if you're going to do it before driving home!