avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thoughts on the Neo 203 Brompton lookalike

Let me start by saying my Brompton is a 6 gear 2013 model, whereas the Neo is new and has only three. Also, as the bikes are separated by a 12 hour flight, any comparisons can’t be direct. What is interesting is that the Neo isn’t simply a Brompton clone, having quick release hinge mechanisms, and most importantly an aluminium frame. It also claims to be designed in France though production is in Taiwan.

The Neo costs 300€, and you get a lot for your money. The handlebars adjust in height and angle, both pedals fold, the seat is adjustable and has a standard fitting, gears are Sturmey Archer, and the quality of the manufacture appears good. It comes with a steel rack, but without pump, lights, or any options save some velcro tape, which serves to secure the bike when folded. You even have to buy the octopus straps. Only two colors available, by the way, orange or yellow. There is a manual: two photocopied A4 pages, in my case torn in half.

The Neo is definitely lighter than the Brompton, as you’d expect with the use of aluminium. It feels a lighter bike to pedal, too, although more skittish over ruts in the road. I was a little put off on the first day’s ride, because there seemed to be some steering wander which was a unnerving when cycling through Thai towns where all other traffic has one speed, flat out, except for the scooters travelling on the wrong side of the road in your direction. I’d deflated the front tyre endeavoring to do a Brompton style fold, and thought that might be part of the problem. 55psi is maximum recommended pressure, less than that for the Schwalbes.

That problem was to remain over the next 100kms, but I got used to it, assuming the slight vagueness was a consequence of the cheap price. Also, I found the bike more suited to my frame than the Brompton, and consequently a more pleasant cycle. The saddle goes up higher, so my pedaling position was better, and the handlebar adjustment gave me again more height and better control. The brakes seem both good and solid, but braking performance, although it did improve, isn’t up to the Brompton level. A change of brake blocks should change them for the better.

One downside is the fold. Once I’d sorted it out via a thorough study of the youtube video, I found it easier, though the velcro strap isn’t in the same league as the Brompton lugs. Without it, however, the fold expands and contracts like a concertina. On the other hand, the larger wheels on the rack made it easier to push than the Brompton, and kept the bike more stable when doing so over uneven flooring. The hinge mechanisms are neater than the old-fashioned Brompton versions, although I have to say I would have felt much more secure with that type after I discovered what was causing the steering vagueness, which brings me to the reason why I’m not 100% certain about this bike.

On the final press back into Hua Hin over longitudinal ruts I happened to look down. Now, I checked the security of the frame clamp ever day, but perhaps because of the greater than normal unevenness in the road I saw the two sides give about 1mm. It was possible to recreate this movement by simply changing direction suddenly. I had no tools, but the bike shop was on the way back so I continued, if more gingerly than before. If you look at the pictures, you’ll see how the clamp works and how to adjust it. Obviously that was the problem, but that adjustment is critical. Anyway, shortly afterwards I discovered when the bike fell down a steep slope (I’d left it leaning against a fragile railing which gave way), too loose and the clamp breaks apart.

I was leaving the next day so didn’t have time to examine or adjust the clamp.The bike shop fixed it so there was no give and no flex, which cured my one major criticism of the ride, but I do have strong doubts about how well the clamp performs its function. Yes, the frame was rigid, but it was now nearly impossible to undo so the hinge would open.

I can’t recommend this bike because of the doubts concerning the security of the clamp. It is a critical safety feature. I’m going to see when I get back about having a more secure clamp fitted, or at the least look at finding a way to lock that clamp securely by changing to better quality components inside.

It’s a shame, as otherwise the Neo does improve over the Brompton in many ways, although the latter always feels the more solid bike. Just to finish, here's my Brompton:

Last edited by avole; 01-03-18 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Attempting to add photos