Old 01-02-18, 03:43 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I almost clicked through just to see what argument could possibly be made against bike lanes, then I thought better of it. There are some cyclists here in the Portland area who are against bike lanes. They're usually the same people who are against helmets (not just against requiring helmets but actually against helmets). I find that I'm much happier if I don't try to engage their arguments.
Wise decision. I did skim through, and even surfed his links to his earlier articles before coming to my senses. It's just shock-jock stuff, pointless except to argue about.

I do think there are in many situations better infrastructure choices than bike lanes, but I also think that bike lanes are much better than just throwing people into busy lanes that must be shared with cars and trucks. Bike lanes seem to work better in the suburbs than they do in the city. In the city more planning is required for proper bike lane deployment.
I agree, even segregated by a painted line is better than the same lane without.