Old 01-05-18, 08:17 AM
mibike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Flounce View Post
Thanks. So I'll get either the Garmin GPS 64 or eTrex 20x. I agree with your assessments in your other posts, i.e. GPS 64 is good if have a dynamo hub and doing touring.

Tourist in MSN - I was wondering - which cache battery do you use?

I don't do touring, I train for brevets, and I will have a dynamo hub but will use it mainly for charging my phone and don't want to depend on it for charging my extra navigation GPS device, will probably run that off disposable alkaline AA batteries. Garmin GPS 64 use more electricity than the Etrex 20x, i.e. AA batteries last 16 hours vs. 25 hours (advertised numbers) on two AA batteries. That could be significant.
I don't charge batteries in the GPS 64. I use a separate charger and charge them at home. The only time I charge them elsewhere is on a tour. On a longer breverts I will carry spares. There is always the option of buying alkaline batteries if needed.

As for the battery life there is not as big a difference as it looks like. It will very for both depending on settings. One of the biggest users of battery use is the back-light. on the eTrex you need to keep it on at night so you can follow the line. I find about 50% brightness works for me. On the GPS 64 using route navigation you can set the back-light to be off and when you get close to a turn it will turn on at the same time as the turn warning and go off after the turn. You can even set the screen to only be on at the same time as the back-light if you would like to save a little more.

I haven't timed battery life on ether but it hasn't been a problem and I don't think it's a lot different in use.

Originally Posted by Aushiker View Post
It has been awhile since I used an eTrex but you might want to look for the ability to turn-off auto re-routing. I has been an option for as long as I can remember on my Garmin Edge units.
On the eTrex you can't turn off auto re-route. I have called and emailed Garmin support about this. I have also asked on GPS forums about it.

On the GPS 64 you can set auto re-route to on, prompted or off. I keep it set to off. This is the biggest reason I bought the 64 and like it better.