Old 01-06-18, 10:04 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Second morning of -40. This is cramping my style. Temps back into the 20’s tomorrow so hopefully the snowriding can continue.
Agreed, and its so much “warmer” here downstate and in the urban heat island of Metro Detroit. A mere -5 degrees with windchill of -14 per NWS when I woke up and checked about 7 am.

You really need to be prepared for this stuff. I had some non-perishable groceries in the car from yesterday to unload this morning, and grabbed a pair of medium-heavy weight, Pearl Izumi winter gloves to wear. In the five minutes it took to make 4 or 5 trips in and out, both of my hands were already chilled to the point of being uncomfortable. I’m glad I wasn’t out on a trail somewhere relying on those gloves.

I’m really anxious to get back on my bike, but this past two weeks has been the most significant cold snap I remember since probably the 1990s. It just didn’t feel safe to me to try it.

Next week, even a couple of days in the 40s here - and it will feel almost tropical relative to the past 2 weeks. That will be my opportunity to finally get back into a regular routine.