View Single Post
Old 01-06-18, 02:08 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
In my initial post I mentioned customizing components. A few of them are wheels (already discussed), handlebars, stem, saddle, seat post and gearing. I'm sure a stock bike would have been fine but I tend to personalize the components to fine tune the ride. I also have shown where I changed the small chain ring to a 34 as it came with 36.

I wanted carbon bars to help a little with road dampening. I also wanted a different width from stock. I found a great deal on an Easton EC70 AX bars. Here's their web info: Easton's new EC70 AX bars were designed with gravel and adventure drop bar bikes in mind and with these fitted you'll be able to hang on in the corners faster than ever. They feature a 16-degree flare on the drops to give you much more control on loose terrain. This flare makes the width at the drops a full 68mm wider than at the hoods, keeping your wrists away from your knees when you're sprinting for the line. Constructed from carbon fibre for the ultimate in stiffness and low weight.

I like the idea of the flared drops as that should provide a little more stability on descents. I have the 44 cm width. I might just get another set for our tandem. I have Easton bars (and stems) on several of my bikes and really like them.

Not the best of photos but maybe it will help show how the drops flare out a little. They also have a shorter reach which I like.

IMG_0470 by joe price, on Flickr

image1 by joe price, on Flickr

image2 by joe price, on Flickr