Old 01-06-06, 12:22 PM
Jeem
Pro Tinkerer

Bikes: '68 Schwinn cruiser/49-50(?) Hawthorne cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey man, just dive in. I love responses like, "just get one at Big 5". Some folks enjoy taking something old and making it work like new again. If it were mine, I'd blow it all apart right down to the bearing cups in the headset and the crank, strip the paint off, clean up or replace the existing bearings and basically, rebuild and regrease everything and re-assemble the thing. It's a cool looking cantilevered style frame what with the double top tubes and all. Now would be a good time to see what is offered in the way of aftermarket parts like some of the cool tires and handlebars a stem etc. Companies like Nirve and Felt offer lots of seperate components that can somewhat HOT ROD your bike with. Perfect restoration? Nah! Just take your time and have fun with it. You can rebuild the wheels it came with, just pay particular attention to how the rear hub comes apart and, hopefully, goes back together. If that is too intense for you, new wheels are available at your local bike store for fairly cheap (if we are talking standard chrome steel units). Get a new chain though. Sounds like you are pretty young and may not have many tools for bodywork and paint. If so, rattle cans will work and in fact give a decent finish, just make sure to prep the metal the best you can and, again, take the frame down to JUST the frame, no brackets, bearing cups etc. before you paint it. Scotchbrite or steel wool the chrome and bare metal parts to clean them up too. In the end you may actually have as much or even a bit more cash in this project, you will DEFINITELY have more time invested, but you will have a bike that you KNOW is built well, has sentimental value, has some vintage FUNK to it and most of all PRIDE in your accomplishment.