Old 01-11-18, 01:34 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Originally Posted by pdlamb View Post
Have you done any long, cold, rainy rides (say, 30-35F)? If you have, how have you kept your legs warm?
Around here, if it's below 34, it's snowing and I don't do long rides on my road bike in the snow or at least I sure as heck try not to. The last one, I was scraping the ice off my glasses with my fingernails and my rim brakes didn't work because the pads couldn't even melt the ice off them, much less slow us down much on the tandem. A couple people finished the ride with their bikes as SS because the cassette was a ball of ice, and stopped by dragging their feet. We were close to home, so we turned off with a couple of riding friends, went home and partied all afternoon, watching it snow and thinking about the poor fools who couldn't stop.

Anyway, the coldest 75 mile ride we've done on the tandem was at a steady 36 in a steady downpower. We had Performance insulated tights on, which they don't make anymore, but we still have them. I think PI AmFIB would be about the same. You just keep riding. Your legs feeling cold is no big deal. I used to deliver papers in Fairbanks and wouldn't wear long john under my jeans until it got colder than 11 below (F). Your legs don't matter. You keep your torso, hands, and feet operational and you'll get there. And BTW the fact that you can't feel your feet doesn't matter, either. As long as it's above freezing, you can't frostbite them. Just keep pedaling.

Believe me, I know what cold feels like and if it's so warm that it's above freezing, you're not feeling real cold. Hands are a problem. Your hands have to work or you can't shift. So gloves are both what's critical and most difficult. Hand warmers help a lot, as do good gloves. Good gloves must both stay warm enough when soaking wet, and allow one to take them on and off when soaked. There aren't many gloves like that.

OTOH you don't want to go hypothermic in the rain, but that's just a matter of keeping your torso warm and pedaling hard.