View Single Post
Old 01-12-18, 11:43 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 857 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
You've got a winner!

I set mine up as a 5 speed IGH for commuting. It's a really sweet ride.

This is kind of the perfect bike to use for a project like this, the relaxed geometry especially (and the clearances must be good to handle those tires). Best if one of these bikes is selected from the bigger side of one's personal frame size spectrum.
Not to mention that these Raleighs aren't the sort of collectibles that you'd absolutely want to keep stock, I say do whatever you want with them, especially where potential urban theft is an issue and the bike needs to be affordable. I just bought another one last week, a '75 model, and the value was negotiated with a knowledgeable local seller and I received the bike upgraded with Dura-Ace freewheel hubs laced to perfect original rims with DT spokes for $225 in mostly excellent condition (there was some typical-Carlton-Raleigh piss-poor brazing at the seatstay end plates).