Old 01-13-18, 07:39 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3388 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 42 Posts
Warmshowers is becoming more popular in Italy. Couch surfing is also very popular. There is also hospitality club. Free Accommodation world wide through Hospitality Exchange - Hospitality Club

The hostels are some of the best anywhere. I have stayed in palaces for just around $25 US. Some monasteries have rooms. There are also penseone which are small hotels sometimes even someoones spare room like a B&B

Almost every small town has a tourist office. Just roll into town, find the office and they will try to find you something that suits your budget. They will also provide maps, including bike maps in some cases.

That might be a way to save a bit of money.

To save money on food look for Prezzo Fizzo (fixed price). Meals in Italy are served by the plate. You get a meat plate, a pasta plate. antipasti etc. Prezzo Fizzo will include all plates at a cheap price.

Pizza is also good just about anywhere and pretty cheap.

For lunch seek out the open air markets in town. They will have roasted chicken, pork, fruits, vegetables. all at cheap prices.

My buddy and I would stop in the morning and have them split a chicken for us.

Learn some Italian. Almost everyone in Italy speaks some English but many won't admit it. If you learn a few words and try your Italian, they will open up and speak English. I would imagine it is the same if they spoke French. They might not admit it but should open up and try their French if you are willing to try Italian.