Thread: Helix Update?
View Single Post
Old 01-14-18, 02:56 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 198 Posts
Th first version of te Vello was not a full folding bike, it was a bike where the front wheel must be removed to have a complete fold (like the Ahooga and Baike Friday PakIt) but the second generation has a folding fork like the Tyrell for instance, the Tyrell folding fork is a proven design, not (yet ?) for the Helix folding fork (that was redesigned several times by Peter), the fork being a crucial element for safety, this is another risk of the Helix (and also to a less extend for the new Vello because it is similar but not the same as the Tyrell).

The second generation has also a reduced weight, the non-electric version with Alfine 11 hub (which isn't lightweight) is specified at 10.5kg (with aluminum frame) what is not bad https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/v...bike-bicycle#/

I do not know any folding bike with 24" wheels, but the non folding 24" I tested and owned (but it was an ETRTO520, not ETRTO507, size chosen to have road tires). didn't impress me at all vs. ETRTO406 (I could compare both size with the same type of tire = Schwalbe Durano, 23x520 and 28x406, I also had Ultremo ZX in 23x406, but this was a real high performance road tire, what is not the case of the Durano, never tried Schwalbe One 23x406, I now use Pro One 28x406).

Like on the Moulton, for small wheels to have both comfort and efficiency, the Moulton solution with road bike suspension is for me the best.

About ETRTO520 wheel size, this wheel size is a nightmare for finding tires ! For that reason, I would never advise anybody to choose that size (for the same reason, I would never advise anybody to buy a Noulton with 17" ETRTO369 wheels).

There are very few options, the Panaracer Pasela is one but it is more a city tire.
Terry had one type of tire in ETRTO520 (don't know if it still exists, Terry was promoting ETRTO520 wheels for small size women road bike).
The only other tire I know and only real road bike tire in ETRTO520 is the Schwalbe Durano 23x520, when I wrote "road tires" above, I put a "s" at tire because... there are two wheels, for the model of road tire in ETRTO520, to my knowledge, there is only one, no "s" needed on the word tire !