View Single Post
Old 01-14-18, 07:41 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Eyedrop
I understand the point your trying to make, and I appreciate you meaning well. Ive done alot of digging around the past 6 years, and my stance is that yes olive oil has healthy fats, and eggs/meat/dairy are very high quality complete protein. Nobody refutes that.

BUT, there is also a startling amount of evidence that oils and animal products can carry health risks along with their benefits. You will be hard pressed to find evidence that whole plant foods do the same.

So in my opinion, if I can meet my nutritional needs (including protein and fats) to a high level on a plant based diet (not all that hard to execute and live with) I will choose that rather than take the health risks or support the suffering and death of animals. I just find it archaic and unnecessary. I can get all the same benefits that animal products provide, plus some.

I dont find anything radical about that, but I suppose it depends on the perspective you look at it.

What you describe is not radical. It is, in fact, a very ancient practice.

I am loosely affiliated with a Trappist monastery and the monks don't eat meat unless they are on an infirm diet. Fish and eggs are OK but no chicken, beef, pork, etc. Benedictine monastics under the rule of St. Benedict have been living this way since the fifth century.

The monks at the monastery all live into their 80's and many live past 100. It is a very balanced, peaceful life, free of stress to the extent that it is possible and free of the "White poisons" such as white bread, refined sugar, etc.

I have been trying to eat less meat and that is one of the reasons why I asked about protein supplement in the first place. You post is relevant to this. Thank you for bringing it up.

-Tim-