spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3388 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Parli italiano? Almeno un poco italiano?

It has been a couple of decades since I was there. However, everyone in the big tourist areas spoke English. Nobody in the little towns and communities spoke English. .
I covered this above. Almost everyone anywhere speaks at least some English. They just might not admit it at first. I think they are a bit embarrassed of their poor skills. But if you are willing to embarrass yourself first they will open up and try English. Between your poor Italian, their poor English and some hand gestures you get the job done.

One thing I learned is don't try to to get them to explain directions. Hand them a pen and paper and say "Scriva una mappa, per favore". Even if you have somewhat a command of language or they speak English, they talk so fast, it is hard to keep track. Sempre direto, Sempre direto. Always straight, always straight is what they like to say.

What I don't like is many times the GPS and maps will show the full name of the street but the street sign will have an abbreviation.

A mother's favorite word for the kids is basta! Enough! You will hear that a lot. I was in La Spezia. My hoel had a little balcony. There was some kids, screaming and screaming. He would not shutup! I went onto my balcony and yelled "BASATA"! It got quiet almost immediately.