Old 01-19-18, 03:15 AM
MovingViolation

Bikes: Brompton S6R-X, Tern Verge X20, Moulton SST, BMC RoadMachine, Bianchi Infinito CV, Giant TCR Advanced Pro Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me put in a good word for Boyd Johnson's 44mm disc brake wheels (I went with the White Industries CLD hubs option). I've been running them tubeless with 25mm Schwalbe Pro 1 tyres and Orange Sealant.

These wheels have performed flawlessly and performance is certainly a cut above the DT Swiss R24 Spline stock wheels which came with my BMC RoadMachine 02.

I weigh 75kg and have been running the Boyd 44mm / Schwalbe Pro 1 wheels with ~70PSI front and 80PSI rear. At some stage I'm going to try them with 28mm Schwalbe Pro 1s and lower pressure simply because I like trying new things.

Two things I have thought about a bit:

1) You might find that running 25mm tyres tubeless allows you to get away with a lower pressure that is so comfortable (whilst retaining good rolling resistance) that you really don't need to go as wide as 28mm... --> I'm planning to try 28mm for the express reason of testing this theory out.

2) If you deeply care about aero performance, then there are virtually no mid to deep section carbon rims having sufficient internal and external width to blend nicely with a 28mm tyre profile. Perhaps only the Enve SES 4.5 AR? Are there others?