View Single Post
Old 01-19-18, 08:30 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
While the Italian lakes are pretty and roads along the lakes are mostly flat, there is also a very high level of traffic along much of the lakeshore roads. I felt that the traffic there really detracted from the cycling. The Dolomites were great for touring. The Italian Riviera was awful due to very heavy traffic. Unless there is a bike path there now, I would avoid the Riviera. The Adriatic coast and the Arno valley (Florence & Pisa) were fairly decent for touring.

My biking in the south was from Bari on the Adriatic coast across to the Amalfi coast, then up to Pompei and Naples. Except for around Naples (utter chaos), it was great. Southern Italy is quite hilly/mountainous, however. I would happily return to tour in the far south of Italy.

I haven't been to Sicily or Sardinia, but a friend who toured on both greatly preferred Sardinia. He said there was too much traffic on the Sicilian coast, but the interior lacked infrastructure. BTW, if you haven't been to Corsica, it's fantastic for touring. There are ferries to Corsica from mainland Italy and from Sardinia.