View Single Post
Old 01-23-18, 05:25 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
No expert, but apparently if you wrap/build up a few layers of rim tape when initially setting up your rims tubeless, those layers of tape raise the seat which the tyre bead sits on, making it less effort to get the tire bead in good position to hand pump from.

However, I've only one wrap on my setups. I put a tube in, then inflate with the hand pump until I hear both beads 'pop'. The carefully push in one side of the tyre, releasing the bead. Remove the tube. Get the one side of the tyre back in the well, then carefully lift the edges up into the edge of the rim.

This is usually enough to get enough of an air seal for me to then pump up the tubeless tyre by hand.

If I see the tyre is not inflating/there's air getting out one side of the tyre, then I grab half-a-dozen clothes pegs (which weigh nothing) to grab the sidewalls/keep the bead up against the rim. When I then inflate the tyre, the clothespegs jump off.

Another option -similar to the clothes pegs- is to wrap a length of string/wire around the tyre circumference. Wrap it over close to the side of the loose bead, restricting the possibility for air to escape. Pump up the tire.

Good tools for when you're out in the sticks.

Last edited by tangerineowl; 01-23-18 at 05:27 AM. Reason: txt