Old 01-07-06, 07:45 AM
lookinUp
Old Woman on a Catrike

Bikes: Catrike 5.5.9., Trek Madone 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tivoli1, welcome. I know you'll find the folks on this forum knowledgable and very willing to answer questions. I've been a member since June 05, and like you am motivated by everyone on this forum.

Take your time when selecting a bike - I've been through 4 bikes since March and finally found the one I'll keep. I first bought a Trek 100 with suspension because I was so heavy and thought I needed a sturdy bike. About six weeks later, I upgraded to a Trek7500FX because I wanted a faster bike. Started riding with the local club, and because I was a slow rider, could only ride with the 'pokey' group (which was not a bad thing). Decided to ride my age on my birthday and purchased a Specialized Allez Elite road bike so I could complete the ride in less than a day . Loved the bike - very comfortable and fast.

The fickle finger of fate waved a used Orbea Onix at me, and although I have no business on such a wonderful bike, I couldn't resist the great price and the beautiful orange/black bike, so I sold the Specialized and bought the Orbea. That's my final (I hope) road bike, although I do have a mountain bike from 15 years ago, plus a touring bike (I call this the truck - the Orbea is a sportscar).

Anyway, the moral of this long diatribe is... buy a bike that is beyond your current ability - because when you get more fit and loose weight (if that's your goal), you may well find that the bike that worked for you when you started isn't what you want/need.

And, regarding bikes - the Specialized Allez Elite or woman's Specialized Dolce are terrific bikes - fast, comfortable, and can handle a large rider very well.