Old 01-30-18, 07:47 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by AustinFitz
Well after our discussion in this thread about the Mountech RD on my Elite GT 15 I couldn't stop worrying about the RD while out riding the bike, and that really bugged me... I started looking for a replacement, and put a lot of thought into it! I wanted something that was really unusual and interesting, and while not mandatory, I kind of wanted something that was period correct as well.

I had it pretty much narrowed down to the 2nd gen Mountech, any of the various 3 pulley designs, and the Le Tech. Since my search began I only came across one 3 pulley on ebay, but it was way too expensive. Found a couple of decent 2nd gen Mountechs, but they were pretty pricey as well, and I really just wasn't liking the look with the big black line across the front.

Then I got a tip about a guy who might have a Le Tech for sale. I contacted him on FB and after a few messages back and forth I managed to score this super clean Le Tech at a price that I can live with! Seller said it was only really used on a display. It's missing it's cable clamp bolt, and the flat backing nut, but the seller is including a couple of different bolts from other SunTour derailleurs that should fit. I'm hoping that the little flat backing nut is the same as the one on my Mountech so I can just use that.

I haven't received it yet, but here are some pics of it. I think it's beautiful!

You see what makes the LeTech so much cooler?

The regular jockey pulley. There’s still the whole goofy 3rd pivot- completely and wholly unnecessary- one more thing to break and go wrong.

I’ve got a LeTech on my Voyageur SP- it shifts nice on a 5 speed block- but it’s been goofy about 6 before (which is why it went back to the VSP- it’s too cool to not use, but it seems to favor 5 speed). If I start riding that bike more this year, the 3 pulley XC is going on there!

FWIW- this time period of Suntour used ink/screening on the derailleurs that is somewhat fragile. Looking at it too intently will cause the screening to come off. I put clear nail polish on mine (and my Cyclone MII) to protect it.

It’ll be glorious! I can’t wait for pix!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.