View Single Post
Old 01-07-06, 04:39 PM
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AD-SLE
Thanks Jeff! I hear ya on the relative need for a FD. Long ago when touring Nova Scotia I came upon this guy with a very odd bike. Front brake only. RD shifter only with a bedroll on the back. And he was riding the whole Island of Cape Bretton for 30 days! For the FD he said he uses the following technique. When he needs to jump down, just angle your heel in and knock the chain off the big ring. When the going gets eaiser and it's time for the big ring simply stop peddaling, reach down and lift the chain onto the big ring. Quite easy when no FD is in the way!

I digress, but I can't see this approach as optimal when off roading trying to keep up with the guy infront with a $2,000 bike and it's a tripple

I see so much stuff on eBay for minimal $$$ I thought it might be worth a stab especially since it's obsolete 7 spd and independent from the brake giving more flexibility as so many are V brakes now. No rush but wanted to hear from some more experienced folks. Can't believe it would be that hard and I have the rest of the bike working GREAT!
I run a 38T ring to a 11-30 cluster, 20 something lb bike.
I do use a tensioner and bashguard (46T ring with the teeth ground off).

As noted above, 7 wears long, chains don't snap, parts are cheap.

If the drives worn -the chain and cluster\rings are wear mated =run them to crap.
All drive teeth and chain need to be replaced @ the same time.

You have a 5 bolt standard spyder\cranks? Keep em, replace the bb with taper axle.
If you have been riding mostly mid ring AND the chains been replaced once in a while....
maybe you only need a mid ring.

As far as new cranks.....how about a double? Means a different front derailer but, to me, a set up with 34\42 to a 11-30 cluster is all I'd would ever need.
The bb axle length has to be correct for the double crank to sit right for the chainline.

Last edited by jeff williams; 01-07-06 at 10:52 PM.