View Single Post
Old 02-02-18, 10:08 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
ETA: I most likely have a inside rim width of 15mm and should go to a 19mm for the wider tires size. Maybe I answered my own question??
If you are worried about tire width, don't. The charts used for determining tire width are way too conservative. Going from 15mm to 19mm is a very minor change and won't make a difference. It's 4 mm or 0.16" or a bit over an 1/8" or about the thickness of 2 nickels. It's a minor change and not worth the investment. You could use 35mm, 38mm or even 40mm now without issue.

For comparison, I run 17mm rims with 2.12" tires (~55mm) on mountain bikes without issue. That's a bit extreme but not outside of the norm for mountain bikes.

If you have other reasons to upgrade the wheels...you need stronger ones or you want hubs that require less maintenance, then get (or build) new wheels. But for a minor tire change? Just go with what you've got.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!