Old 02-04-18, 11:13 PM
TallTourist

Bikes: Vivente Deccan XXXL Slightly modified

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
Headed north on 15, sounds like you are going to Chichicastenango or Quiche.
Personaly, I would rather go up in the mountains, say the Ixil triangle, Nebaj, Cotzal, Chajul. If you have not spent time in a Mayan village, you have not visited Guatemala. The Mayan villages in the mountains are low crime areas. Chichi is for tourists. In Antigua the Maya are waiting to sell you something, in Chimaltenango there are few tourists and no one notices you, in Chajul, on the back streets, Mayan children have never seen a gringo before.

Semana Santa, the week before Easter Sunday. No one does it better than the guatemaltecas.
Mardi Grass starts in a few of days, big party somewhere or other.

My trip to Guatemala, next month will include visits to Uaxactun and some other lesser known ruins, perhaps Yaxha.

You never found a new tires? Are you on a 26er?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4evy_IMFKQ

Tapachula border crossings are used by all the trucks on the pan american hwy. Perhaps la Mesia or Gracias a Dios would be more to your liking?

Hey Chris, Looking online I think I will do the loop of the towns you mentioned AND the high plains. I've got months and months before I run low on money so time's not much of an issue, thanks for the suggestion

Is that loop of road paved? I'm guessing no but I might make it through with only one or two broken bolts so it's not a huge huge deal.

Nope I'm on a 700c bike. a 26" wheel bike would be so easy I could buy tires and tubes everywhere. I did manage to find the 40-622 I have on my rear wheel now just a week or so before my Schwalbe gave up the ghost and I found a more aggressive one for dirt/crappy dirty pavement a few weeks later. Still no tubes but luckily I have lots of patches and one spare. Guess I'll have to wait til mexico to get some fatter rubber or maybe even england when I head over that way.