View Single Post
Old 02-07-18, 09:11 PM
bkentr

Bikes: yes, Bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks can be deceiving, and the too high look is magnified by the 20" wheels.

The riding position is very close to the same one I use for all the bikes I set up,test ride, then If a bike is for someone else, I'll change the ride fit to whatever is needed.

When set side by side to a 26" wheeled bike, the handlebars and seat very nearly match each other.
the small bikes are a bit lower.

A back injury in 1979 stopped me from riding with drop bars, or leaning forward. i have very short legs, and a
longer torso, which adds to the "look" of having the bars so high.

i aim for the same riding position for any bike I ride.
Using straight bars, when sitting "upright", most all weight on seat, i can just hold the bars with fingertips,
then to gain some small amount of power, i can lean forward enough to fully grip the grips.

This is the riding position that has been worked out over time that works for me, even when having a "episode"
of back pain.

I find it an odd thing, but am grateful for it, that even when the back thing was at it's worst, i could still
ride, If i could "mount up", and pedal off. Riding was and is a good therapy.

Back in 1974 I did have a bike with sew ups, and understand first hand how a lightweight bike with low rolling
resistance can and will ride much faster and longer with the same amount of effort.
i do not recommend taking one of these for a long ride, even with gears. Around the block,or up to around 10 miles
at a time is fine. Several short rides a day, weather permitting, works fine.

not that it matters much, but I did have a valid reason to start building these back in 1985.
i have been calling them "fun bikes" for lack of a better name.

Fortunately, it's possible to have several bikes around.

bkentr