Old 02-08-18, 08:56 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by TallTourist
Yeah, I was looking at your race pics with envy the other day, beautiful bike! 140 miles in one day? Man that's a lot of riding! Gravel no less!

I'm not getting a lot of specs from retailers on things like bike weight, is the surly really that much heavier than its aluminum or ti competitors or is it just a difference of like 5 lbs? I see people whining about how heavy the bikes are "Mine weighs 50 lbs!!!!" and I'm thinking "Well my skinny tire touring bike weighs 40-45 ish unladen soooo..." what's the big deal? Seems like an extra few lbs is worth it if anyone with a welder can fix a frame breakage.

Yeah it's funny my hands go numb on my drop bars but that's probably cause I'm leaned over so far. Never had that problem on my cheapo town bike with flat bars due to the more upright position I'm sure. So many options for bars now I'm sure I'll find a good fit The Pugsley 2.0 looks pretty much perfect except maybe the fork. What do you think about suspension?

All the people whining about speed, I wonder if they've ever had to take a touring bike on 70kms of kidney jarring road. That's not fast. At points I'm forced to stand in the pedals and just creep forward slowly at a few kms an hour. No way a fatbike would be that slow. On ****ty dirt roads 70kms is an all day affair and I don't want to ride the next day.
My fatbike friends that ride gravel grinders and like suspended forks like the Lauf: https://fat-bike.com/2015/07/lauf-carbonara-tested/

I think I'd like to go with a CF fork for some weight saving and damping without going suspension. I find the tires take out most of the buzz and rarely felt the need for more suspension on the fork*

* There's a local gravel race called LML that is the start of the gravel season every year. The gravel roads are just thawed and full of pot-holes. On LML ... I'd like more suspension.