DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tjpark1111
I am frustrated enough with NEW things breaking on me in less than 2 months and you guys want me to buy used???
A used bike from a reputable bikeshop is nearly as good as a new bike and much much much more reliable than one from a big-box department store.

hmmmm building with individual parts would be good since it probably will be cheaper
Unless you have a stock of parts on hand or can really find some amazing deals then this will probably not be the case. Bike manufacturers get deep discounts from the component manufacturers because they can purchase in volume. Buying parts individually to build up a bike will generally cost you more than a complete bike. Additionally, you might have to purchase extra tools.

I dunno of a biking club although there probably is one, but there at least is a bike shop. Some of my friends have gotten bikes for $200 from there, and they haven't had problems for years with those bikes.
That might be a good place to start. And as others have said, don't shy away from used bikes from bike shops.