Old 02-09-18, 12:13 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
Who is making a negative claim?? You misunderstand.

Also, because one person has toured on a folding bike really proves nothing. I mean, I have too, but it isn't the perfect tool for touring, you'd have to admit.
You said using a folding bike for touring is "always a compromise". That is a negative statement. And I believe SOME folding bikes are perfect tools for touring. Again...if you haven't tried a Bike Friday for touring, your statement is an overreach. And it's not just one person, btw, Bike Friday exists because many people tour on their folding bikes, that is what they are designed to do. Bromptons are not designed for that but many people do it, anyway (I wouldn't but that is just my preference as I prefer 20" wheels for touring).

I think a fair statement is that you prefer full sized bikes for touring. Period. Until you have toured on all the many variations of folding bike designs, your statement is a bit of an overreach, imo. that's all. Maybe I consider full sized bikes a compromise for touring - after all, they are a pain to deal with on transit and to store in hotel rooms, etc. ;-)