Old 02-09-18, 07:38 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
Is a "gravel bike" a touring bike? Not a term with which I'm familiar.

Thanks, by the way, for vindicating my position re folding bike compromises - they are, whether people admit or not, compromised....
Have a look at the Surly Long Haul Trucker, one of the most popular touring bikes in the US - it's just a variation of the gravel bike theme.

Sorry if I was not clear, but my point is that any type of bike can be seen as a compromise vis-a-vis another type of bike. For me, overall, a folder (and specifically the Brompton) provides the most options, and least compromises, for how and where I prefer to tour. A more traditional touring rig, such as mine shown above, is what actually made me quit touring decades ago, and the Brompton is THE bike that got me back into it (and I've owned folders since '91). There are many reasons, but the three most important for me are 1) security (the B comes inside most places, often carting my gear); 2) skipping the particularly nasty sections like dangerous traffic and pouring rain (multi-modal options); and 3) easiest bike to carry distance, specifically hiking/bushwhacking deeply into the knarly Eastcoast woods for secluded/private wild camping, nearly as nice as backpacking.