View Single Post
Old 02-10-18, 01:26 PM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
As I've said,I have toured with the Brompton, for most of the reasons you say. However, I've also taken my road/touring bike and from the riding speed, comfort and loading point of view it wins hands down. That includes covering some of the same terrain in Oz, especially close to the great divide whear a large gear range is a virtual must.
The issue is that "your Brompton" does not equal "any folding bike", not even "any Brompton". You just started a thread about after many years you decided to make your Brompton fit your body by buying a longer seat post and different bars. So obviously you have been touring with a bike that did not fit you - no wonder that other bikes have been more comfortable. Has nothing to do with the Brompton being a folding bike or folding bikes in general. Regarding the gears: It is possible to fit different gear setups like Shimano Alfine or a Rohloff hub even to a Brompton aftermarket and many folders offer these already as stock options. So again the issue is the consequence of a semioptimal single decision of your's and has neither any connection to the Brompton or folders in general. And regarding the "is a virtual must": Heins Stücke has been touring with a Sachs 3-speed hub for the most parts of his decade-long bicycle travels. A pretty good proof that material is overrated - it may be more comfy but is by no ways a must. Regarding luggage: When traveling with a Brompton you have to limit luggage to a degree. But on the other hand: The t-bag takes more than 30 liters and a Backpack on the rear carrier takes 50 liters or more - should be sufficent for bicycle travels. And there are other folders on the market that just take the same panniers and bags to the same amount than any full sized bike. Thus again not an issue of the Brompton or folders in general but of your very own decision.

Extrapolating from your experience with a single bike that seems not have been used to it's possiblities as foundation to the claim "folders are no good for touring" is just not valid.