View Single Post
Old 01-08-06, 06:53 AM
DustyK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone,

First I wanted to say how much I have enjoyed reading various topics here on the forums. It has helped me out not to mention just gives me something good to read .

Anyhow, I wanted to come by and post about my first day out riding my bike and ask about a few things. I live in the country in North Carolina so I have plenty of roads with light traffic. I bought a bike about a year ago, haven't touched it until today . Now before I go any further I want to tell you I am 6'2" and weigh 267lbs (overweight). I used to play football, basketball, and even went out for track when I was in high school. Now that was 3 years ago, since then I have been working a pretty demanding job. Sadly I lost it during the winter break. So this is how the whole story came together. Decided I have plenty of time on my hands now so why not go out and have some fun.

So I put on some cloths and went out. lol I figured this would be a cake walk, sadly I was mistaken . I made it to the end of my street (Seemed like it took forever). Decided to head back to my house mainly because my hands felt like they were going to fall off and my ears weren't faring any better. So when I finally got back to my house it took about 30 minutes. Didn't realize how tired I would be. I wasn't so much out of breath but I could hardly lift my legs and so now I am here .

So here is where I wanted to ask my questions:

First I think I could have gone a little longer if it wasn't for my hands and ears. Now I can prob find a way to solve that easily enough. Think maybe I should just keep going for 30 mins until maybe next week then see where I am and maybe up it to 35 or 40 mins. What do you all think?

Really enjoyed my ride but now my legs feel like jello

Edit: Wanted to add a little more of what my goal(s) are atm. What I am aiming to do right now is be able to get in good enough shape to commut back and forth to a town not too far down the road. It is 3.75 miles down the road but man does that road suck. From my house it starts out with a pretty big hill and then it gives a little break with a slight down hill road. After that down hill it's a slight up hill battle all the way into town. That's what killed my legs (well besides being out of shape) was a steady up hill climb. It's like my house is in a rut, lol up hill both ways . Anyhow, commuting to that town is my first goal. I have others like getting in shape, improving my well being, enjoying the ride, and overall someday I wouldn't mind entering a race but those are a bit further away then this one.

Thanks for any reply and I can't wait to hear from everyone

Last edited by DustyK; 01-08-06 at 07:12 AM.