Old 02-12-18, 08:16 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

I'm not sure what the best "punishment" for something like this is. Mandatory permanent revoking the driver's license. Community service & restitution?
Nope.

Every day I prosecute individuals who commit crimes while driving with either a suspended or even revoked license.

In California you put your money down, buy a car, and no one cares if you have a license or insurance.

If you get caught driving with a suspended or revoked license, you get a slap on the wrist and are sent back out on the streets.

Community service? Really? What sort of community service will make up for killing an innocent human being whose only crime was having the temerity to ride a bike (like all of us here do) on the open road.

Restitution? Again, no dice. Unless the criminal has money, or wins El Gordo in the lottery, he will never be able to pay restitution.

For many, or most of these crimes, the only solution is to lock the criminals for as long as possible. Granted, There is rehabilitation involved here. The only objective is to keep the community as safe as possible, for as long as possible, from these individuals.

BTW, the California prison system recently changed its name from California Department of Corrections to California Department of Corrections AND Rehabilitation. I am still laughing over the last part.