Thread: New pedal
View Single Post
Old 02-14-18, 01:28 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2003 Specialized Hardrock, 2004 LOOK KG386i (RIP), 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor View Post
Have tried many systems over the years, @joejack951
Shimano SPD, Look KEO, Speedplay X1 & X2, MKS Urban Step-in A(Time ATAC clone); as well as Carnkbothers Eggbeaters.
As I mentioned earlier; I couldn't clipin at times with the KEO's. It was either upside down or my road shoes would just slide over.
With the Eggbeaters; engagement is not as smooth as SPD. Plus it felt weird when I was clipped-in; like I needed a shim or plate
between my shoe and the cleat.
Interesting. I've found Crank Brothers Candy, and the similarly designed but now discontinued LOOK Quartz pedals to be smoother than SPD for clipping in. Yes, they do need to be shimmed to lock in securely. The cleats (both CBs and LOOK) come with shims for this.

All that said, I can clip into my SPD-SL pedals without looking 90% of the time. 99% of the time I clip into my LOOK Quartz pedals without looking. Not really in the market for a system that as noted appears to have a very fragile and difficult-to-walk-in cleat and little resistance to accidental disengagement. 25 lbs. in any direction isn't that much for my guads